Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Want some fast food?

Will you believe that the first time I had KFC was in China? Well, it was hard to avoid KFC since they were everywhere in China. The American fast food companies have been lured by the size of Chinese population and their appetite for fast food. No wonder one new KFC is opened in mainland China almost every day. Yum Brands, the parent company of KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell, plans to eventually open at least 20,000 fast food outlets in mainland China.

If you want to fit into the Chinese fast food culture, here are some Chinese words worth learning:

肯德基(Kěndéjī): KFC

麦当劳(Màidāngláo): McDonald’s

必胜客(Bì shèng kè): Pizza Hut

汉堡包(hànbǎobāo): hamburger

比萨(bǐsà): pizza

三明治(sānmíngzhì): sandwich

可口可乐(Kěkǒukělè): Coca Cola

百事可乐(Bǎishìkělè): Pepsi

I ate a lot more hamburgers in China than I normally would. I think it was also partly because I liked the way it sounds in Chinese. Doesn’t hànbǎobāo just sound fun to eat?

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll stick to Bǎishìkělè, bǐsà, and sānmíngzhì, although "hànbǎobāo" is fun to say.

    ReplyDelete